“Community” one of the best new comedy series

By Rebecca Fowler

Community college.  It’s a great place for transitioning from high school into the real world or to a university, and it also serves as a last chance for adults who wish to learn more.  However, over the years it has become a joke.

This could not be made more evident than in NBC’s new TV show “Community.”

While poking fun at all the stereotypes, including the high school jock stuck in the past, the gossipy and overly-cheery mom and the rich older man seeking youth again, “Community” manages to keep it both funny and real.  The show, while quirky and simple, enforces values of friendship and honesty.  Though the characters are extravagant, they are proved to be real by their emotion and candor.

Though all the characters are unique and hilarious, the TV and movie-crazed Abed (Danny Pudi) holds the show together.  His dry humor, awkwardness and cleverly-scripted lines boost him up to one of the show’s most beloved characters.  Frankly, I watch the show for Abed, just to see what outlandish thing he will do or say next.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the other characters are funny as well.  But Abed undoubtedly makes the show one of a kind, as his character is unlike any other on television.

While the two main characters, Jeff Winger (Joel McHale) and Britta (Gillian Jacobs), are humorous, they serve more as stabilizers for the rest of the show.  They exist for the other characters to play off of and bring in the romantic drama that every show needs.

Overall, “Community” follows the general outline of most TV shows while maintaining its individuality and fun characters.  It is refreshing and unique, a show worth watching.

“Community” airs on Thursdays at 7pm, and full episodes can be viewed on nbc.com.