Volleyball senior night results in win

By Seth Slover

Seniors Bear Bass, Sarah Arnold, Kristen Dickerson and Kierra Holst could not have asked for a better way to end the regular season of their senior year.  By cruising to a relatively easy victory over Denton Guyer, the volleyball team can now look forward to the playoffs.

The night started off with the team running onto the court to warm up to some pre-game music.  The crowd was active and energetic early.

Game one was close at the beginning.  Junior Erica Bohannon spiked the ball to break a 7-7 tie early on.  This was closely followed by back-to-back spikes by Junior Chiaka Ogbogu to extend the lead to 10-7.  The rest of the first game consisted of a run by the Cowgirls, largely due to dominant run row play.  The first game resulted in a 25-12 victory for Coppell.

The second game of the match consisted of a run by the Cowgirls, led by Ogbogu through a series of powerful blocks up front.  The positive play by the Cowgirls got the crowd fired up.  Subsequently, several fans were scolded by administration for going “too far”.  Nevertheless, the fans continued to cheer on the team.  Freshman Kylie Pickrell came up big in the second game with several great plays, leading to win number two for Coppell.

Seniors got a great deal of playing time in the third game, helping the Cowgirls to a great start.  Coppell jumped out to a quick 9-3 lead.  Junior Megan Kennedy spiked the ball for a 16-8 lead, doubling the Guyer’s score.  From there, the Cowgirls cruised to their third and final win of the night.  Sophomore Kate Dicken and Ogbogu teamed up for a big block late in the game.  The final score was 25-14.

With the regular season in the past, the Cowgirls are not done yet.

“I fully believe that we can win state.  We completely believe in ourselves,” Junior Cassidy Pickrell said.

She is not the only one with this mindset.

“We are going to keep working hard, with the goal of a state championship in mind.  I’m really excited,” Junior Jordan Jones said.

All Coppell volleyball fans share her excitement for what lies ahead.