Senior duo sets each other up for success

By Chase Porter

Seniors Sarah Arnold and Kristin Dickerson have been friends and teammates since the fifth grade, and now they are leaders of the varsity squad, propelling the Cowgirls’ six game winning streak.

Senior and defensive specialist Kristin Dickerson is responsible for making sure the other team doesn’t score initially. Photo by Brian Hwu.

Dickerson started her volleyball career in the fifth grade playing on a club team. From then on she continued to play on the Coppell middle school East team and other non-school related club teams. Arnold had a similar start, joining Dickerson’s club team in the sixth grade and also playing with her while she was on the CMSE volleyball team.

Both girls agree that being teammates since sixth grade and getting the chance to play alongside each other during seventh and eighth grade has made them even closer as teammates and friends.

“Being teammates with Kristin has not changed my relationship with her one bit,” Arnold said. “Volleyball is something we have in common and that we share. I know that because of volleyball Kristin will always know me better than most people.”

Dickerson is currently serving as the Cowgirls defensive specialist or libero. In this position she is responsible for making sure the other team doesn’t score initially, but she must then pass the ball to her offensive teammates. As a leader Arnold says Dickerson is a great leader for the team.

“I would consider Kristin’s leadership unique,” Arnold said. “While she doesn’t scream at everyone, she remains very intense and focused. She always has positive things to say to the girls and leads the team by example.”

Arnold is the communicator of the team because she is the starting setter for the Cowgirls. As setter, her job is to direct the team on the court and set up the offense. Dickerson says the team really looks to Arnold when leadership is needed.

“Sarah is a determined leader,” Dickerson said. “When she sets a goal for herself she works hard to accomplish it. The team really looks up to her. She’s very strong willed and is willing to do whatever needs to be done to achieve our goals.”

Senior Sarah Arnold is the starting setter, her job is to direct the team on the court and set up the offense. Photo by Brian Hwu.

Earlier in the season Arnold suffered a low ankle sprain during practice, resulting in her not being able to play some of the teams district games. To make up for Sarah’s injury, the team had to buckle down to try to make up for the loss of the setter.

“Because Sarah was hurt we all had to pick up our intensity in practice in order to make up for her being hurt,” Dickerson said. “We had to stay focused and keep working hard so that when she was better we could pick right back up.”

Now that Sarah has recovered from her injury, she and Dickerson are trying to keep the team on track to take on the last part of the regular season and upcoming playoffs. Both girls have confidence in the rest of the team because of the hard work and dedication they display on the court.

“I think that the team has had a major breakthrough,” Arnold said. “Around mid-season we had a hard time getting in a rhythm and playing together as a team, however, we all are learning to trust each other more. This will only help us perform to our abilities the rest of the season.”

For both of these girls volleyball is a part of their lives, but now as college applications are being completed they have decided not to play volleyball in college and pursue a more normal college experience.

“Having Kristin [Dickerson] and Sarah [Arnold] on the team is really great for team morale,” junior volleyball player Jordan Jones said. “Since they are such good friends and they joke around in practice it keeps everyone in a good mood while at the same time keeping everyone focused on our goal as a team.”