Image and video hosting by TinyPic" />

KCBY plus Sidekick equals convergence Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Story by Tyler Morris
CSM.com Webmaster

Video by Ryan Clancy, KCBY

This school year, Coppell’s student newspaper, The Sidekick, and the student led television station, KCBY, are joining together to start implementing a new form of news and media. It’s called convergence media.

“Convergence media is presenting news, presenting material, in more than one medium,” newspaper advisor Chase Wofford said. “It could be a print story on the website, a photo gallery, a video, a blog, a video blog. So, it is more than one way to present the news or information to readers and consumers.”

Convergence media is a partnership to write stories, take pictures, and create videos that all complement each other. This form of media is used by most major papers and stations nowadays. It is a more effective and entertaining way to give information and stories to the readers.

This idea started with the creation of the Coppell’s news Web site, coppellstudentmedia.com, late last school year. The plan for the site was to host KCBY videos alongside stories and photos by Sidekick writers and photographers.

“We started out with what we wanted to do but it took us a while to get to how we want to present it,” Wofford said. “We were happy with what we had last year but we have taken it up to another level.”

To see KCBY videos that go along with stories, just check out the video section right here at www.coppellstudentmeida.com.