What makes a good friend?

Let me ask first, what is a friend? I think I can define that word to the dot: somebody that you can rely on for almost anything. That definition encompasses loyalty, trust and honesty. Now how about your definition of a friend?

We can all define what we think makes a good friend. But how come, when the outline of a good friend is so close in reach, is it that we sometimes forget how to be one?

I took this topic to the halls and asked some of our peers what they think makes a good friend.
Senior Amanda Tumey said that fun is an important factor in a good friend, and senior Aleya Noor agrees.

“If you can’t have fun [with your friend], what else are you doing?” Noor said.

She also believes that she and her friends share a similar sense of humor and that understanding humor is key because understanding one another’s humor is way of understanding a friend’s way of thinking and thought process.

When asked what one thing could ruin a friendship, most surveyors replied: lying. Lies break honesty and usually trust. Tumey described lying as “unforgivable,” a statement which many people would agree. But junior Matt French said “I’m always forgiving,” even though he named lying as one of the worst things a good friend could do.

High school can be a very difficult time for students, especially without a good friend to rely on for guidance and understanding. While we all want a great friend to be by our side, we also need to remember that we too, must be a good friend.