Man on the Street: Getting school’s opinions

By Chris Nguyen
    Features Editor               

As a journalist, I get the opportunity to say aloud my opinion on a regular basis out in the public, whether it is on the Web or in the print issues.
                    However, many students and teachers do not get the same chance that I do. So, I decided to talk to people throughout Coppell High School’s hallways and get students and teachers’ side on a variety of issues, whether it is pop culture, political or anything in between and a short recap of the response I got from a variety of people.
                    Pop-culture wise, the recent arrest of Roman Polanski has incited a firestorm over whether he should be released from jail after committing the rape of a 13-year-old girl. However, the case has gotten very convoluted. Nonetheless, the answer has been a large no to his release, either depicting the huge gap between students from the incident or just a hardline against any crime whatsoever.
                    Another issue is the always interesting lives of Jon and Kate Gosselin, who are currently underway of a divorce, and with no end of sight of how long they will continue to be in the media. So I wondered should these two great people get back together. The verdict was… absolutely not. Unfortunately, the public does not ever want a Jon and Kate.
                    Also, I took into consideration politics. The 2016 Olympics home was being hotly contested with a dead heat over Chicago and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. However, despite being the home of Oprah and President Barack Obama, many residents of Chicago are hesitant of the money being put into the huge sporting event.
                    Health care, too, has continued to capture news’s attention and the lingering question is still whether or not there should still be a public option. It is a touchy topic on where to draw the government line. Like the partisan debate on Capitol Hill, students were sharply divided over how much power the government should posses.
                    In addition, Iran has made the headlines recently over its nuclear program and how the government should react. Many actually did not have an opinion on the issues, while others said the government should not take too much of a strong hand on Iran.
                    And the last issue I talked about was something that has been on any sports fan’s mind: the fate of the Dallas Cowboys. Will this finally be the year that Cowboys win a playoff game? Nearly all the respondents were unfaithful and expressed huge disappointment in what most will think a not-so good year.
                    Check out some of the more memorable responses on the video.