• The Sidekick newspaper, KCBY-TV each win first place in Best of Show contest at JEA/NSPA Convention

• Coppell Student Media has been named a 2018 NSPA Pacemaker winner

• Project Graduation will be selling senior overalls during all lunches from April 18-24

Celebrating 140th Birthday of Gandhi

By Luciana Mendes

Video by Keely Leonard and Matt French

Although today may seem just like every other day, October 2 actually marks the birthday of deceased Indian independence movement leader Mahatma Gandhi.

In India, October 2, is a national holiday known as “Gandhi Jayanti”. Mahatma Gandhi was born in Porbandar, Gujarat, India on October 2, 1869. After studying law in England, he spent twenty years in South Africa working for immigrant rights. He became the leader of the Indian National Congress upon his return to his mother country in 1914. Non-violent passive resistance and civil disobedience became his main tactics in leading India to its eventual independence from Great Britain.

October 2 is also recognized around the world as International day of Non Violence. Gandhi is recognized globally as a great humanitarian. The Google search page depicts an image of Gandhi’s face in celebration of his 140th birthday. President Barack Obama also praised Gandhi in commemoration of his influence on America through his inspiration on civil rights leader Martin Luther King.