Huens wins big at art contest

By Michael Pankonien

Already a finalist in the Texas Young Masters art program, winner of the Texas Youth Art Month competition, and has qualified for state in the Texas Visual Arts Scholastic Event (VASE), it’s clear that sophomore Austin Huens is headed for greatness in the Coppell High School art program.

“I’ve just always been drawing since I was little,” Huens said. “I like to do memory drawing the most because it allows me to pull from my own imagination.”

Huens, who is a student in both [ AP Drawing and Art 2 AP], recently won the Texas Youth Art Month competition meaning his work (a flag reflecting both competitions theme “Art Shapes the World” and Texas) not only beat out competition from other art students in Texas, but will also be on display in Washington D.C. during March.

“Its cool to think about the number of students my flag came out on top against,” Huen’s said. “[I] also got to take a tour of state and national capitals.”

“I had 75 students from my classes alone compete [in the Texas Youth Art Month competition],” AP Drawing teacher Westervelvt said. “Then take that for every art class room in the state of Texas and you get an idea of the size of the competition.”

Huens has also entered art into the VASE competition.

“VASE is basically like Art UIL,” Huens said. “Each student can submit two pieces of art which will compete at the regional level and then the pieces that medal at the regional level move on to the state level.”

Huens has medaled at the regional level and will be traveling to the state competition in April.

Also under his belt is Huen’s selection as a finalist in the Texas Young Masters program. The program is designed to reward young Texas artists who display an aptitude for the arts.

“I enjoy drawing portraits the most,” Huens said. “There’s just something interesting about the human face.”

Huens art can currently be seen on display at the Dallas Museum of Art.

1