Environmental science students continue Blackland Prairie restoration in Coppell

Ashley Attanucci
Web Manager

This year, AP and IB Environmental Science teacher Holly Anderson and her students began a new project to help restore the diminishing Blackland Prairie eco-region in Coppell’s own Coppell Nature Park. After an idle winter season, Anderson and her classes are transitioning from their planning stages and moving on to physical restoration.

Students are planning to re-visit the recently mowed site to disperese seed balls -clusters of seeds of natural native species of plants- in hopes to recreate biodiversity at the field. Though faced with a current setback of seeds not having arrived on schedule for a field trip planned for Wed. March 23, the seed dispersal is being rescheduled for either the following Sat., March 26 or Thurs. March 31.

Along with the restoration of this precious Texas eco-region, students are creating a proposal to be presented to the Friends of Coppell Nature Park to outline the terms and needs to maintain the Blackland Prairie. They hope to maintain a steady student relationship with the Nature Park in recruiting primary and secondary schools as well as clubs to volunteer and study the Blackland Prairie.

To learn more about the class’ restoration project, read Environmental Science classes give back to Nature Park by News Editor Divya Kumar.