Image and video hosting by TinyPic" />

Recycling Club back for third year Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Once again, CHS is playing a dynamic role in the reduce, reuse, recycling revolution through its Recycling Club. Active for now its third year, members of the club spend one day a week emptying out the big blue recycling bins of the hallways into the metal recycling dumpsters outside. And that’s it. One responsibility, once a week.

However, club members’ responsibilities as citizens of the Earth journey much farther. Past their simple duty with the club, members practice recycling everywhere they go. From reusing plastic bottles to turning off the faucet while brushing teeth, their attention to responsibilities of our precious planet is constant. Those who recycle not only keep the world we share healthy, clean and efficient but set an example for other students to practice recycling. The club hopes to inspire and encourage students to make the simple change in their life that will forever impact the Earth.

Three years ago, student Rachel Green, who sponsor Mr. Vergien described as “hippie-ish”, came to him, the “tree hugger”, with the idea to initiate a recycling club. Vergien said he became the sponsor simply because recycling is important. At home, Vergien repurposes what others may call trash by collecting hay, chicken feces and kitchen scraps like lettuce to craft nutritious compost for his vegetable garden. Other small efforts, like bringing lunch in a reusable sack and wrapping sandwiches in biodegradable wax paper, encourage students to do make right choices and help the Earth.

Teachers and students: remember to empty the little bins inside your classrooms into those big ones in the hall each week. More importantly, remember to do your part and recycle in whatever ways you find suit your life best, whether it be doing homework on scratch paper, bringing lunch in a reusable lunch bag, choosing washable silverware over plastic or becoming a member of the club at school.

The Recycling Club meets rarely, so listen to the announcements for the next meeting. But if you are interested in joining the club, stop by Mr. Vergien’s room, C235.