Image and video hosting by TinyPic" />

Homecoming Parade boosts student spirit Image and video hosting by TinyPic

By Divya Kumar
News Editor
Photos by Viviana Trevino, Staff Photographer

The Homecoming Parade helped to generate excitement for the rest of the week and big game for the high school among Coppell students and citizens alike. The parade, extending from the Verizon Center to the end of Parkway Lane, off of which the high school is located, began at 6:30 PM and lasted till 8:00 PM.

Many of this year’s floats consisted of the variety of different clubs and extracurricular activities offered at CHS. The parade was used as a way to showcase the different things offered at the school and publicize them in a fun way.

“I think the parade really is a good way to draw attention to the vast amount of things that are happening at the school,” junior CHS student Kelsey Dreier said. “I saw so many floats of things that I didn’t even know were happening.”

Besides being a way to help certain aspects of the school gain more attention, the homecoming parade served as a fun source of entertainment to cap off the start to homecoming week. The parade helped generate excitement about the week and big game not only throughout the students, but also the residents of Coppell, of whom could catch glimpses of the parade from their own homes.

Coppell students, in fact, were not the only ones who attended the parade. A variety of different citizens showed up to view the festivities, especially those of a younger age, who could better enjoy the colorful floats displayed and students happily passing out information to the crowds. Despite the fact that it was a Monday, a good amount of people were still able to arrive to the parade and partake in it.

Other than homework, however, the other factor detracting from attention to the parade was the ever imminent threat of rain. The day’s weather report predicted rain, a forecast that was only bolstered by the looming grey clouds, however, those watching the parade managed to get lucky and stay dry during the duration of the parade.

Though not too long lasting, the parade was at an inconvenience to some, especially those living off of Parkway. Getting home between the time the parade lasted was slightly difficult due to the blocking off of entrances to the main road in order to ensure safety.

“It was a little irritating having to find a much longer, slower way to get home,” junior Meera Patel said. “But luckily since it was so much later in the night, there wasn’t much traffic, plus we had known about the parade before, so it’s not like it was any huge surprise that we couldn’t go home that way. The parade was chosen at a good time, to make it convenient for most of the people living around there.”

Overall, the parade appeared to be a huge success.

“I’m really glad I went,” Dreier said. “Not only did I get to learn more about the school, but I also got a chance to have fun and get more excited for homecoming week. I can’t wait for the parade again next year.”

1