Image and video hosting by TinyPic" />

College Night serves as educational outlet for students Image and video hosting by TinyPic

By Frances Ruiz

Filled with a budding sense of anxiety, anticipation and excitement, College Night at the University of North Texas campus proved to be a great success as an overwhelming number of high school students took advantage of this opportunity to learn more about a variety of colleges and the programs which they offer.

Taking place on the UNT campus, College Night served as an opportunity for both parents and students to become familiar with a number of universities across the nation. With over 25 surrounding school districts in attendance, the UNT campus was full of eager, young high school students ready to learn more about the universities which fit their interests.

Rachel Pederson felt that College Night was a great way for students to learn more about colleges which interested them.

“College Night gives high school students the chance to learn more information about the colleges they are interested in,” Pederson said. “It’s a great way to see what each college has to offer.”

Students and parents were not the only ones found in great abundance as over 250 college booths and representatives were made available to answer questions or provide further information. From the University of Notre Dame to the University of Dallas, students were provided with a wide range of colleges and universities to gather information from.

College representative Kim Wratislaw from Southern Methodist University felt that opportunities such as this one were a great way to educate students.

“By attending college fairs such as this one, SMU hopes to educate students about opportunities on our campus,” Wratislaw said. “Through College Night, students can gather information about our university as well as research and find out what it takes to apply.”  

Not only were a wide variety of college booths and representatives found on the UNT campus, but those representing surrounding high schools were as well. Coppell High School was among the many represented at College Night with counselor Mindy McMinn serving as its representative.

There to answer questions a CHS student or parent might have, McMinn felt that opportunities such as College Night should always be taken by high school students.

“College Night is a great opportunity for students to see and learn more about different universities,” McMinn said. “Any chance to learn about colleges should be taken by all students at CHS.”

Having provided both students and parents with useful information concerning universities within Texas and across the nation, the annual University of North Texas College Night was an educational experience for all involved.