First Student Council Meeting shows Coppell spirit

By Frances Ruiz

With the ringing of a much anticipated school bell and the rush of eager students filling the hallways, the end of yet another school day kicked off the first student council meeting on September 9, 2009.

As the lecture hall doors swung to a close, club officers introduced themselves to a crowd of 87 potential members and began the meeting with an explanation of the organization, its past accomplishments and future goals, as well as its strong approach to getting more members actively involved.

President Marco Arce stressed the importance of involvement by every Student Council member to ensure the club’s success.

“I think it’s important to get more students involved at CHS and to join clubs like Student Council,” Arce said. “In a club like Student Council, it’s important that all members are active and take part in the activities.”

While creating service learning projects, such as Relay for Life and St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, Student Council offers many opportunities for its members to volunteer. Showing its complete support and backing for projects such as Rachel’s Challenge and the annual Ready, Set, Teach turkey drive, the club meeting conveyed the importance of altruism to every student in attendance.

Sponsor Sunny Richardson stressed the importance of service learning as a Student Council member throughout the meeting.

“Student Council is one of the many organizations representing CHS and its students within the Coppell community,” Richardson said. “This club is one which emphasizes service learning and community growth made possible by the youth of Coppell.”

Progressing from service opportunities to the subject of Homecoming and its speedy arrival, the club meeting took a cowboy spirited turn. With the construction of floats, decorations  and signs needed, Student Council offered CHS students a variety of ways to be involved in this year’s Homecoming.

Senior Erika Provost found the club’s involvement in Homecoming exciting and very fitting.

“I think Student Council is the perfect club to arrange Homecoming preparations,” Provost said. “As a new member of Student Council, I can’t wait to help in decorating the halls and participating on the float”.

As the meeting came to a close, students joined together to make a Homecoming dress-up day sign for students to see on the senior bridge. Already showing signs of team work and togetherness, this year’s Student Council begins with a true Coppell spirited start.