Marcus vs Coppell Preview

By Andy Tabor

Like last week, this Friday I was able to speak with a member of a local area volleyball team that had played against Coppell and their upcoming district opponent. 

The match up this week is against Flower Mound Marcus and I had the pleasure of talking to Dj Phee, a senior outside-hitter committed to playing volleyball at West Point Academy in New York.  Her current team, the Allen Eagles, are ranked number one in the area and number five in the entire state of Texas.  Allen defeated Coppell two games to one in an early season tournament, while Allen beat Marcus three games to one recently.

Andy: Hey Dj, as you know Coppell is playing Marcus tomorrow night.  Who do you think will win?

Dj: I would give the edge to Coppell.

Andy: Is there a particular reason why you think Coppell will win?

Dj: Yes, Marcus has really only one strong hitter while Coppell has evenly matched strong hitters across the front line.  Also, since everyone of Coppell can play good defense, I would say that they have the advantage there too.

Andy: Well, what was it like to compete against these two teams? What were some differences?

Dj: When we played Coppell there were longer rallies and the sets were much more competitive throughout the match.  Against Marcus, it seemed as though they were dead and had little energy.

Andy: What individual should Coppell be worried about on Marcus?

Dj: Their best player is without a doubt, sophomore right-hitter Elizabeth Fortado.

Andy: What do you think about Coppell’s chances are for winning district and possibly going far into the playoffs?

Dj: I would say Coppell will definitely win the district.  The district they are in this year is less competitive than it was last year.  As for playoffs? (laughs) Coppell will have to get through Allen first to make state.  Ya’ll will win district but I’m not sure how much farther (laughs).

Andy: Well thank you for your time and I hope we can meet you in the playoffs (laughs).

Dj: (laughing) I hope so too.