Senior plans to play lacrosse long after he graduates

Kelly Stewart

With college on the horizon, many juniors are starting their search for the perfect university. For some athletes, that search has already come to an end.

Some junior and senior athletes already know what colleges they are going to. For them, many colleges recruited them, and were offered many scholarships because of it. It was only a matter of picking the best offer and making a commitment to that school.

Senior Preston Allison was asked by Providence College in Rhode Island to play on its lacrosse team.

“They e-mailed me and expressed interest […] they said ‘We really like your skills and we want to offer you a spot on the roster,’” Allison said. “They have good sports teams, they have a good basketball team, a good soccer team and they’re all Division I, all part of the Big East. I really like that.”

Lacrosse is just one of the many sports Providence offers. Its male sports teams include basketball, cross country, ice hockey, soccer, swimming and diving and track. The school is first in the state for Division I athletics, according to the Providence College website.

While lacrosse does not have the same popularity that football does in the south, the nation’s oldest sport has been gaining ground in recent years, with over 400 college and 1,200 high school lacrosse teams in the nation, according to the U.S. lacrosse website.

For Allison, Providence has more to offer than lacrosse.

“I liked the fact that it was a small college. You get to really get to know your professors, and they would get to know you beyond [just] knowing your name,” Allison said. “I also liked how close the dorm rooms were to each other. You do not have to walk across the entire campus to visit someone. And the classes are really close and easy to get to.”

However, the distance from his home in Texas and the college all the way in Rhode Island is a little worrying to Allison and his family.

“This process has been a learning experience for all of us,” Allison’s sister junior Kara Allison said. “[The school] is very far away and since he will be playing a sport, he will come home very rarely – only twice a year.”

Preston does not plan to turn his love of the sport into a profession, but does plan to play lacrosse through all four years of college.

“I plan to play lacrosse in all four years,” Preston said. “I would still go to Providence even if something [such as an injury] were to happen.”

While lacrosse may not be as highly valued in Texas as it is in other states, football is the same way. The sport is not as popular in the northern states, as evidenced by Providence’s lack of a football team.

“The biggest [negative aspect] is that they don’t have a football team,” Preston said. “Obviously it is not as important to them as it is here.”