Fall brings flu season to CHS

Rebecca Neumann

I love fall. It means falling leaves and pumpkin spice lattes, Halloween and good football. But with all the good it brings, there is a dark side to these mostly wonderful months: flu season.

I’m sure you’ve noticed. There is a least one person gone in every one of my classes. It’s enough to make you want to chronically wash your hands.

I myself have a usually strong immune system, but I am concerned. It’s impossible to keep up with make-up work after missing school for a few days, much less a week if you catch the swine flu. I would like to urge all of you to please take some precautions to keep yourselves, and others, healthy, for the sake of our GPAs.

Please cover your mouth when you cough. Most diseases are spread through the air and spreading germs into the open would be bad. Also, do not cough or sneeze into your hands, because you will touch things and spread germs. If you have to cough, turn your head and cover your mouth with your shoulder, the way Elmo taught you to. Also, wash your hands. It’s easy and it works. None of these things are difficult and I’m sure they will help.

There is always the option of getting the flu shot, I get one every year, but some believe it only gives you the flu. This is true, but the odds are small, and I believe I would rather at least try to prevent from getting sick rather than regret I didn’t get the shot later. I will use anything that will possibly help me.

So I beg you, please think about your health. Use antibacterial soap, watch your coughing and wash your hands. But if you do get sick, don’t hesitate to stay home, despite the grades. We don’t want everyone getting sick.