Snow Days: Blessing or curse?

by Chase Porter
Video by Kiley Bratton

Over the past few weeks, the city of Coppell has experienced extreme ice and snow that has made travel virtually impossible.

From Feb. 1-4, Coppell High School was out of school, which some students referred to as Winter Break 2. The ice days took out five days from the school year and disrupted the entire school schedule.

To some, mainly students, it was a blessing that school was cancelled but for the teachers, lesson plans were thrown completely off track. Since schedules have been disrupted, tests and due dates for projects were changed and some teachers have had to assign tests and assignments on the same day of other teachers. This has caused a lot of commotion throughout the student body.

“Being off school for the snow days was really fun because we really only get snow once a year but the make up work made coming back to school stressful,” Matthew Ainsworth said.

Students and administrators alike have no idea when or whether these days will be made up. One rumor has been that these days will be made up at the end of the school year. Others have said that the weather days will be taken away but that’s all the make up we will have to endure.

“The snow days really just moved all of my lesson plans back but my classes had to make up some tests and quizzes scheduled for that week,” English teacher Linda Moore said. “I’m glad we didn’t have school because it was a nice break but then again all teachers, not just me, have a calendar that we need to stick to.”

Assistant principal Michael Williams cleared up some of this confusion about the snow days, saying that the plan so far is that no other days will be added on to the school year but the allotted weather days will be taken away. These weather days will take place on April 22 and June 3, which are both Fridays.

Also, he says that this is good for the school events, such as graduation, because they will not have to move the dates or location. Usually when things like these snow days happen, school events are delayed or cancelled because of a disruption in the school schedule or simply because it is not safe to drive.

“As long as I have been here at Coppell High School, I have never been out four days in a row like what happened the past few weeks,” Williams said.

With so many days off, many of the administrators are looking into planning better for ice days in the future. Though there is not much that the city can do for such a small amount of ice, it appears that CHS students will just keep enjoying snow days in the future.