A lack of business

Chris Cummins

In another pro-business move, President Obama has appointed Jeffrey Immelt, a former GE Executive, as his chief Outside Economic Advisor. Intended eradicate the anti-business reputation he has gained throughout the years. In recent years, the President has become somewhat of a boogeyman for business groups, and been tagged as someone who “hates” business, due to the tone and stance he displayed towards some of America’s most esteemed companies.

Among his other moves intended to allay the reputation he has made include scheduling a major address to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, and appointing a former JP Morgan Chase Executive, William Daley, as chief of staff. In recent years, the president has increased regulations for major industries, scared and worried industry in general by taking over the Big Three car companies, and blasting prominent investment banks, albeit to score populist points.

Still, this marks the latest move in a White House offensive, and it will be interesting to see what the administration can come up with next, especially as the campaign cycle looms for 2012.

For more information on this appointment, go to: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/22/business/economy/22obama.html?hp