Changing perspective with the season

By Luciana Mendes

The weather is beginning to cool down and leaves are starting to change. Monday, September 21 marked the first official day of fall, meaning that summer is, no matter how much we may pretend, finally over.

Homecoming weekend has come to a closure and it’s time for students to get their head in line with school work if they have not already. It’s the final week of the first six weeks grading period. By now, the structured rhythm of each day should feel natural to students.

“What’s now?” crossed my mind on Sunday when I kissed goodbye to my final Homecoming weekend as a student as Coppell High School. Looking at my planner, I realized that this Friday is the bye week for football. No Friday night lights for Coppell. The eagerness to come to school that first week of class faded long ago and I’ve found myself scrambling into first period right as the bell rings.

Flipping to the next page in my planner, I found “Slay the Dragons” scribbled in bright pink letters under Friday October 9. It reminded me that exciting times are still up ahead. Even though classes feel extra long and teachers seem to be piling on more and more homework as the weeks go by, there is still much to look forward to.

Along with the rival game against Southlake next week, we also don’t have school that Friday. In fact, the following Monday after that, we don’t have school either due to Columbus Day. Soon after that is Halloween, which falls on a Saturday this year. Following that will be a set back of the clocks by one hour because of the end of daylight savings. We’ll hardly have had time to catch our breath by the time Thanksgiving break comes around in November.

Thinking about this all really puts things into perspective. Although some days seemed endless, in a sense, time has flown by. It’s nearly October. I mean, we’re 1/3 of the way through first semester. With the changing of the seasons it is time we take a fresh look at this year. Even though we still have much more reading assignments, projects, and mind-boggling exams; there is good news- only eleven more school weeks until Christmas.