No substitute for good teaching

Kara Adkins

Substitute Nan Fullinwider coaches PE partners during her day at the high school. Substituting for a variety of subjects helps her get to know all the students at the school. Lexus DeLoach photo.

It brings a feeling of sudden relief and is usually followed, for many students, by pure excitement. It can only mean one thing: a substitute teacher.

Over the years students have mastered the tactics of ‘tricking’ the substitute teacher. The over used “may I use the bathroom” excuse seems to never fail and it appears that students often times don’t realize just how smart substitutes really are.

Although the student body at CHS is for the most part respectful, there is no doubt that when a stranger walks into your classroom for the day it’s hard to treat them as you would your typical teacher.

“We don’t take them as serious as we would the regular teacher because they aren’t used to the everyday routine” junior Parker Kopinski said.

However, three substitute teachers at Coppell High School have discovered what subbing is all about. Nan Fullinwider, Tim Devine and Diggy Pagels have all uncovered the balance between discipline and leniency and have been able to build relationships with the students as substitutes at CHS.

For many it would be hard to understand the appeal to walk into a classroom full of high school students just waiting to see what kind of teacher you are, but these substitutes love the opportunities and freedom the job brings.

“I have been a substitute for 10 years,” Pagels said. “I love substituting because of the change and variety it brings. Also I love [CHS].”

Devine became a substitute after he had a rocky year as a teacher at a school in Dallas. Substituting has been a way for him to decide whether or not he is on the right career path and to reinforce his love for teaching and students. His biggest joy comes from watching students participate and enjoy the work they are completing.

“When students actually do their work you can tell they are doing it because they care, not because they are just afraid of their teacher,” Devine said. “The best thing is when students know their work matters because if they know it is just busy work then they aren’t going to care.”

For Mrs. Nan, teaching has always been one of her lifetime goals. As early as fourth grade she strived to be a teacher but she never would have expected to end up as a substitute. However, over the years she has found that the happiness and since of achievement subbing brings is irreplaceable.

“I get so much joy from seeing y’all at school… Usually subs don’t get any recognition or anything but to get a hug or thank you card shows that you have made an impact on a kid’s life, and that’s what’s important. If I can be a mentor to one kid, that’s what I’m here for,” Nan said.

Sometimes substitutes do not realize they are not the only ones going into a new classroom and new environment. Often, students are also hesitant when they know a new teacher is coming and they want to get to know them before they can decide how they are going to treat them.

“I treat them with more caution because I don’t know them and I don’t want to get a bad report and make my original teacher mad,” senior Tyler Hernandez said. “So I walk into class with more caution in order not to anger them.”

Nan has been subbing at CHS for four years and believes being around high school students brings her some of her greatest joys and achievements out of life.

“Everybody asks me when I am going to retire. But you guys would have to put handcuffs on me. I’ll probably drop dead at Coppell High School because I just don’t want to quit. I love being up here. My high comes from being here and seeing accomplishments and having a little part of it,” Nan said.

Pagels emphasize that teacher’s jobs are never easy.  Students don’t realize that when teachers give them homework, they are carrying a homework load as well. They must grade papers, record it in the grade book, create lesson plans, attend training sessions and meeting, among many other responsibilities. It is work often going unnoticed by many students.

Pagels has witnessed many substitutes being mistreated by students over the years, facing harmless pranks and tricks, but she has been able to avoid a lot of that because of the relationships and respect she builds with the students she teaches.

“It’s a fine line, you have to be nice but you have to let the kids know they can’t push you around,” Pagels said. “The kids prefer that to total chaos. Sometimes they try to fool you with the lunch bells, but nothing works on me so they don’t try.”

No matter a substitute’s teaching experience or techniques for keeping a class in line, a number of students at Coppell treat substitutes the exact same as their everyday teacher. Not out of fear of getting in trouble or any disciplinary reasons, but because the students at CHS are taught to treat everybody with the upmost respect.

“I always treat substitutes the same as my normal teacher,” junior Austin Steiger said. “They are humans too.”