Adjei-Kontoh picks the best worst movies

By Hubert Adjei-Kontoh

When I saw the trailer for The Open Road, the road movie wherein Justin Timberlake reunites with his errant father played by Jeff Bridges, I didn’t just think this film looked absolutely horrid. No, my first thought was: I must see this.

Justin Timberlake brought the funny as a host of "Saturday Night Live" this season. (Abaca Press/MCT)

Don’t get me wrong, I love great films; that’s why I spend my time watching so many. But some films are so beautifully awful that I can’t resist. I mean films that were not intended to be awful, by the way, not films like Meet  The Spartans, which was obviously going to be horrible from the beginning.

I mean films like The Room which was meant to be an independent drama film that seriously made the viewer think about life, death and relationships. However, it is so ineptly made that it becomes a laughingstock. It seems like it was made to parody the film that it is seriously trying to be. There are numerous reasons why it turns out this way. From it’s tepid cinematography to its plot errors (there is a character who literally disappears without any warning and returns as a different actor at the end of the film). However, these make the film hilarious, and I have in fact watched it six times. It’s endearing in it’s own barely put together way.

Other horrible films to watch would be Troll 2 and Plan 9 From Outerspace.

Grab some popcorn, and enjoy.

3