Dragon Stadium not able to hold expected crowd for Coppell-Trinity matchup

Adam Bremner

During Coppell’s crushing of Midland on Saturday, the Bulldogs’ band could not fit on the home side and, therefore, was surprisingly placed in the Cowboys’ cheering section.

When the undefeated Cowboys(ranked #2 in the state) and defending champion Euless Trinty Trojans(#1 in the state) face off for an epic battle on Friday, a simlar problem will ensue as there is no way the 15 million dollar Dragon Stadium will withstand the attendance that is anticipated.

For the second straight round, Coppell coach McBride lost the coin flip to decide the location, so the Trojan Coach chose Southlake as the venue. McBride lobbied for the game to be played at SMU, but for some reason, Trinity wanted the stage to be smaller than it should be. Now, perhaps the most exciting high school football game of the year will be limited to a capacity max of around a 11,000, maybe slightly more.

In the Area round this year, the presiding two Division I champs, the Allen Eagles and these Trojans, competed in a monster matchup at Cowboys Stadium and the attendance was upwards of 35,000 people. Another second round game in 2009, between Southlake Carroll and Allen, which was also a blockbuster contest, was awarded Cowboys stadium and allotted a crowd of nearly 40,000. This does not mean the Trinity-Coppell game needed be at Jerry’s World(which is occupied on Saturday), but it should at least be given a stadium with proportional capacity to the magnitude of the game.

Yes, Dragon Stadium claims to only have enough for 11,000, but in all honesty, it will have to be expanded as much as possible like a balloon before it pops to please all the fans and media. The showdown will probably attract at least twice the 11,000 allowed and should be interesting to see how Carroll ISD handles the issue. In short, make sure you show up early for the tailgate at 5 p.m. Friday night and buy a ticket early in the week or you will miss out on the action.