Cowgirls ready to start District against Rival Dragons

By Andy Tabor

The Cowgirls finished their pre-season Tuesday night with a huge momentum builder beating Plano West 25-19, 25-16, 23-25, and 25-19.  The Cowgirls kick of class 6-5A with a possible make or break game against the Southlake Carroll Dragons.

Coppell is 27-6, third in the area, and 16th in the state while Carroll is 25-6, number four in the district, and not ranked in the top 20 in state.  These two are both predicted to fight for the district title and having a past rivalry only adds more intensity to the game.

“I think knowing some of their players from club matches adds to the rivalry,” Senior Mallory Cravens said. “I really want to win but it’s also fun to play against them.”

Being a freshman on the team, Cassidy Pickrell understands the intensity of the rivalry but has yet to participate in a varsity match against Southlake.

“I’ll approach it like any other game I’ve played this season.” Pickrell said. “It’s going to be a good experience playing in such a meaningful game.

Although the Cowgirls stress every game in district is important, a win against Southlake at home would protect home court advantage and instantly put them one game ahead of the rival Dragons.  It will be interesting to see which Coppell shows up to play; the fired up and motivated team that beat a talented Plano West team or a lackadaisical mentally un-focused team that almost lost to Lake Highlands in five games.

Whichever way this game turns out, it is sure to be a good one.