The art of Thanksgiving

Julia Kim

As I sat on the couch watching the Dallas Cowboys game, I continued reflecting. Reflecting over what to give thanks for. I realized the list was overwhelmingly long. That was last year.

In two weeks time, I will go through that cycle all over again – the cycle of thinking and contemplating over the gifts I received this year, the things for which I need to give thanks. I find it surprising that the list this year has adjusted to the commodities that I take for granted; it is less of the trivial items and more of the basic matters. I think it is all part of the process: the process of growing up.

Childhood – well, mine at least – was defined by the multitude of toys and games I received. After organizing my room last week, I looked through my closet, now devoid of the trinkets and treasures that were present just six years ago. There are no longer my stacks of Pokémon cards or boxes of Barbie dolls. No more Twister or Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see? It is now depleted of the things that outlined my childhood, and I tell myself again that it is all part of growing up.

One more year and I will be an adult; I know I have changed quite significantly. I no longer need the latest toys or dolls; instead, that has been replaced with my desire for pricier products and a simple longing for family and friends.

I have always wondered how my parents never really wanted anything. Regardless of the fact that they grew up in a simple, technologically isolated town under meager conditions, I am sure that they still asked for some things. Now, I realize that it has little to do with their childhood; it has more to do with their age, and in some aspect, I suppose the idea that they work and have their own money to conveniently spend factors into it too.

Nevertheless, growing up is an exciting process. Not a scary one. Not one to be pushed away. It is walking away from the familiar and going into a different realm in which parental support will eventually dissipate. College will also promote this development.

Giving thanks is part of a long, ongoing tradition. This year my list will be more refined. In two weeks, I will be sharing a list with my family that is completely different.

For now, I can only wonder what I will give thanks for. before The process has been completely transformed as I have grown up, and will only continue to change with me as I go through life.