Mr. Boehner goes to Washington

By: Chris Cummins

With the Republican promise fulfilled, and the House fully in saddle for the GOP, the post election theatrics finished, such as John Boehner’s tear filled acceptance speech, the political world is now pontificating, as it always does, on what’s Next. In this case, Next involves the seat of House minority leader, the position belonging to the erstwhile Republican Minority leader, John Boehner. Nancy Pelosi, the much reviled Democratic House speaker since the 2006 election, seems intent on running, despite the oblique, and not so oblique, asides from Democratic party members informing her of their desire for a new face. While not as widely known or blamed for the current state of affairs, she has been the target of many a Republican attack ad, and has faced constant criticism from GOP candidates since the dream that was Barack Obama faded, tarnished by economic straits.  

Her decision, a resolution to keep her post after losing control of the House, seems odd and more than a little unreasonably tenacious.  After presiding over an election in which the Democrats lost more than 60 seats, most political observers expected Mrs. Pelosi to step aside in favor of younger and, let’s face it, different leadership that doesn’t have a last name ending in Pelosi. That onus, that aura of disapproval surrounding Mrs. Pelosi affects not only her, but her party as well, at a time when complete and total repudiation of anything smacking of the past two years is crucial. It will be interesting to see what happens when the strong armed former Majority leader of the House is set against her former subordinates, and their scrambling political securities.   

For more political pontificating on political pontificating, head over to: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/44752.html