Costumes take over Coppell

by Shelby Jurca

Halloween costumes are a fun outlet for creativity during halloween. Photo by Jack Ficklen.

Coppell might not be filled with spooky Halloween legends and haunting ghosts, but it’s definitely a town filled with Halloween spirit. It’s a time where citizens can dress in anything they want and no one judges you for it. As more pumpkins, bats, ghouls and cats go up in local front yards, more students scramble around for the perfect Halloween costume.

Some Coppell kids have come up with brilliant ideas for their Halloween attire. Last year, there was everything from Barack Obama to the class nerd. This year there are new and different costumes out on the market, such as costumes from Disney’s 2010 Alice in Wonderland and James Cameron’s Avatar, blue make-up and all. Some of the most popular costumes this year are movie and television character costumes, such as icons from Iron Man, Robin Hood and “The Jersey Shore”, while others include Justin Bieber, The Burger King and Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders.

While a lot of the costumes this year are creative and new, other students felt like sticking with the basics. “I’m gonna be a princess.” Sophomore Bailey Farrell said. This classic costume of glitz and glam would make any girl feel on top of the world.

Some CHS students have taken creative liberties with their costumes and have come up with their own forms of classic ideas.

Normally, cows give milk, but on Halloween, they shoot water. Junior Danielle Garcia decided on this creative concept for her costume because she felt it fit her personality.

“I just thought, people aren’t going to expect this, and I tend to do unexpected things,” Garcia said.

Garcia will be participating in her Halloween festivities dressed as a cow – but not just any cow, a cow that shoots water from its utters. Although the most recent, this isn’t the first creative creature costume of Garcia has sported on Halloween.

Everyone has their own type of Halloween spirit; while some love the candy and some love the décor, Garcia has her own opinion about Halloween.

“It’s a chance to show people I’m not normal,” Garcia said. “I like to do that.”

While Garcia chose to put her own twist on a more traditional costume, sophomore Natasha Shams is getting together with members of her family to portray Disney’s TV animated inventors from “Phineas and Ferb. “Me, my cousin, and my sister always go [on Halloween] as a trio,” Shams said. “‘Phineas and Ferb’ is like our bonding show, we all watch it.”

Sham’s group have portrayed other famous trios in the past, touching base with a lot of internationally known entertainers.

“Last year we were the Blue Man Group, and before that we were the Jonas Brothers, which was really fun,” Shams said. “It was actually surprisingly authentic.”

Creepy masks are a way to make any creative costume better. Photo by Jack Ficklen.

Halloween is thrilling and exciting, with this year being no exception. The spooky holiday is full of fun styles and fashion this year, and whether you’re a water squirting cow or an animated genius, it is full of scary stories and wacky costumes to give everyone lasting memories.