Rangers in prime position as ALCS continues

By Adam Bremner

As soon as Josh Hamilton reached out for the 2-1 offering by Andy Pettitte in the first inning last night in pivotal game three of the ALCS, the game was over.

Granted, it was the first inning, but when Cliff Lee is on the mound, 2 runs feels like 10.

The Yankees went scoreless throughout the game with only two hits, while the Rangers, mainly relying on the 2-run shot by Hamilton, eventually shattered the New York bullpen for 6 runs in the ninth. Needless to say, the Rangers dominated the game, winning by a margin of 8-0.

This vital victory allows the Texas club to take complete control of this Championship Series and opens the World Series door a little bit wider. Now, the series stands at 2-1, which has multiple implications that favor the Rangers chances of converting a monstrous upset.

First off, the series is now guaranteed to make a trip back to Arlington if the Rangers are to lose one of the two remaining games in New York. Though the team has struggled on the road in these playoffs, recent success in games one and two of the ALCS has people believing that home field advantage is trending back to its usual perception. Finally, the Rangers have found their stroke at home where they scored 12 runs in the opening two games.

Secondly, they get to start Cliff Lee in game 7 at home if absolutely necessary; this would involve the Rangers only winning one of the next three games. If this is to happen, the team should feel comfortable with the most dominate pitcher in the playoffs throwing for their side. Lee is 3-0 this postseason with a 1.26 ERA and has proven as the savior for the franchise’s first playoff run.

Lastly, in game three tonight, the Rangers go up against the worst statistical Yankee pitcher in history, A.J. Burnett. His above 5 ERA this season makes him so infamous and the Rangers look to feast on his mistakes. With the lineup finally healthy for the playoffs this far, the production is up and who thinks Burnett is going to stop them?

The game tonight at 7:07 in New York could bring the Yankees back into it or wipe them out seemingly for good. Regardless, the Rangers sit pretty as the series go on.