A Stressful Youth

Your youthful days are said to be “the golden days”, but for most CHS students, adolescence seems to be a pain in the neck. Even though we spend majority of our waking time at school with our friends and have weekends to relax, leisure time seems to be dwindling away by the second while stress engulfs our lives.

“Life isn’t exactly wonderful right now because it’s so stressful,” said junior Adam Warner. And many students seem to agree.

Although teenagers are recommended 9 hours minimum of sleep, the goal seems unattainable. A student that wakes at 6 a.m. would need to retire no later than 9 o’ clock, leaving students 5 hours and 10 minutes from the moment school lets out to eat, finish homework, spend time with family and friends and everything in between, including the co- and extra-curriculars.

Junior Rachel Lomen says that she spends on average 2 hours on homework every night, a number that other students might see as a blessing. As little as it may seem standing alone, a 20-minute dedication to each class will steal more than 2 hours of your night, and that doesn’t include projects and papers.

Varsity swimmer, junior Arpita Saha confesses that she tries to quiz herself while swimming.

“I can’t waste time, you know?” Saha said. “There’s always so much to do in so little time, and as cliché as it sounds, it’s the truth.”

Stress is an unfortunate factor that comes along with the teenage experience and the responsibilities. But School, don’t feel so bad because you’re not the only contribution. A stress study done in Minnesota identifies break-ups, financial status, serious injury or illness, and trouble with parents as primary causes.

Having to keep a strict schedule, Larriete Ana Nino often finds herself tied down to the house, not by homework but by parents.

“Parents put a lot of limitations on us, and it keeps me from doing stuff I want to do. I want the responsibility of a 16 year old,” Nino said.

On the other hand, Warner wants a break from adolescent responsiblities.

“In high school, we prepare for college, and in college we prepare for jobs, and jobs prepare us for higher jobs, but it never really ends,” Warner said. “By the time we get to the last thing we’re preparing for, it’s almost too late to enjoy it.”

Despite his realization, Warner says he does nothing to manage his stress levels; instead he advises to “just deal with it, and worry about de-stressing the next day.”

Most other students of Coppell High choose to “de-stress” right then and there. Nino asks her mother to prepare her a cup of green tea, or listens to music.  Senior Seth Rodgers says maintaining the “work mode” through senior leadership core allows him to relieve stress while rewarding him with a positive and “accomplished” attitude. Rodgers, who is captain of the cross country team, adds that playing sports gives him confidence, helping him to get through grueling college admissions and other senior responsibilites.  Junior Anafer Barrera, who has been taking classes for 3 months, does yoga. She believes it to be healthy and helpful to relax.

Stress, defined by Merriam-Webster as a physical, chemical, or emotional factor that causes bodily or mental tension, can be harmful mentally and physically. Its effects include pain, heart and autoimmune disease, obesity, sleep and digestive problems, depression, and skin conditions like eczema. Lomen says that after a night of cramming her back will hurt, and Saha says her neck and shoulders will begin to ache.

At such a young age, common pains such as these caused by stress should not be another factor to add onto the list of struggles for teenagers. Not only this, but time restrictions, lack of responsibility and an unbalanced amount of homework lead to hectic lifestyles for almost any student.

So just remember: adolescence is guaranteed to be stress-full and often out of our control, but you can manage your stress levels. Whether it be music, Facebook, yoga, or your favorite comfort foods, always try to remember to find time to relax and unwind.