Minori Kunte

Coppell High School junior Gia Oswal has been elected as the 2023-24 Student Council secretary. Oswal hopes to continue building on her relationships with other people in council.

Secretary: Gia Oswal

Coppell High School junior Gia Oswal heads into her final year of high school as the 2023-24 student council secretary. This will be her fourth year as secretary.

What are the roles of the secretary?

The standard roles of a secretary are note taking and keeping track of time. We make sure we have the main points of the meetings covered, but for this past year in student council, they’ve made it so that you’re all working together as a team doing the same position.

Why do you like the secretary role?

I like the organization that goes into it, and it’s able to benefit the organization and the team by keeping track of small things. It keeps us on track.

What made you want to join student council?

I was involved in student council in fifth grade [at Pinkerton Elementary School] as a representative, but I wasn’t involved in middle school. When I got here I wanted to be more involved in our school, and then it ended up just becoming this community of great people where I got to branch out. 

What do you admire about the 2022-23 leadership?

I loved to see how the sponsors were taking our concerns and everything that we said and trying to implement it. Anytime anything went wrong we were able to talk about it freely, and there is no judgment in our student council, it’s just a beautiful group of people.

How do you want to build on that in the coming year?

I want to continue our relationship with the other people in council. It’s so great, and it was definitely unexpected to go into this year and see the friendships that have grown and been made from it. I hope I can continue that with the sophomores that come up to the junior positions.

Is student government related to what you want to do in the future?

I want to go into health, but I can see how this would benefit me. I’ve known since I was little that I wanted to work with kids, and my passion for it just developed over time. I want to be out there helping people, and I want to know that I’m doing good. I love that as members of student council we can voice the opinions of others, and I’d love to be able to tie that into a future career. Anytime there is a problem or if someone is facing something, I want to be that voice for them if they can’t do it themselves.

Do you think being in student council has changed you?

It has matured me as a person and made me confident in a sense. Knowing that there are people there who voted for me, it’s nice to have that reassurance.

What are some goals you have for student council in your final year?

I want to be able to do something that makes a difference. I want to be able to come out of CHS knowing that I served my purpose.

Follow Nyah (@nyah_rama) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.