Coppell+High+School+junior+Bhavana+Ananta+was+elected+as+the+Secretary+for+the+Health+Occupations+Students+of+America+Club.+The+HOSA+election+was+April+24+for+its+officers+for+the+2023-24+school+year.+

Wendy Le

Coppell High School junior Bhavana Ananta was elected as the Secretary for the Health Occupations Students of America Club. The HOSA election was April 24 for its officers for the 2023-24 school year.

Secretary: Bhavana Ananta

Coppell High School junior Bhavana Ananta was elected as the Secretary for the Health Occupations Students of America Club. The HOSA election was April 24 for its officers for the 2023-24 school year. (Wendy Le)

Coppell High School junior Bhavana Ananta has been elected as Healthcare Occupations Students of America secretary for the 2023-24 school year. This is Ananta’s first position since joining the club.

What made you want to run for secretary?

I was worried about running for a higher position mainly because it was my first year as an officer and because I had tried running for historian in the past. Historian is using pictures and things like that but secretary is more organization of the entire chapter. I thought that would be a better fit for me.

What interests you about healthcare?

People are always struggling in one way or another, and healthcare is something that everybody needs. I personally have had my own struggles with my health that I overcame, and I wanted to help people who have had similar struggles.

What do you admire about the current leadership?

A lot of us know each other in one way or another, and there isn’t tension. It’s never going to be one person pulling all the weight by themselves, and everybody will help each other out.

What is something you want to build on in the next year?

I want to make being a part of HOSA easier on everyone because when I joined last year it was really organized and you could just come to the meetings and do what you needed to do. This year was really similar to that but I want to make it even easier so that people can focus on what they want to do in the club and have their own opportunities in the club.

How do you want to integrate your passion for healthcare with your leadership?

I want to be able to bring opportunities to HOSA that are oriented towards different fields because right now there are a lot of opportunities to volunteer, but not a lot that let people understand certain fields and positions.

What does it mean to you to have been voted by your peers?

I was really surprised because I was running against a lot of people who were just as qualified, so I was a bit nervous whenever the results were coming out. It felt like there was always a better candidate and the chance of me being elected wasn’t that high but now I’m really proud of myself and really grateful to have been voted for.

Follow Nyah (@nyah_rama) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.