Cowgirls vanquish Farmers, 6-2

Shreya Ravi

Coppell freshman forward Neerali Kapadia dribbles from Lewisville at Buddy Echols Field on Tuesday. Coppell defeated Lewisville, 6-2.

Shreya Ravi, Staff Photographer

On a warm windy night on Buddy Echols Field, the Coppell girls soccer team defeated Lewisville, 6-2.

The Cowgirls were quick to action and Coppell sophomore forward Reagan Roberson scored, with an assist from Coppell sophomore midfielder Summer Chen, eight minutes into the match. The Farmers were quick to follow and scored a goal five minutes after Roberson, bringing the score to 1-1.

However, Coppell was able to break the tie and Chen scored with three minutes left of the first half and ending it with a score of 2-1.

Coppell came back even stronger in its second half and Coppell sophomore defender Monica Morales scored with 29 minutes left in the second half. Coppell junior forward Sadie Ozymy scored five minutes later, with an assist from Coppell freshman forward Neerali Kapadia. 

“We didn’t start the game the way we wanted to,” Ozymy said. “But we picked it up and we started playing like who we are.”

After some more passing of the ball, both Kapadia and Ozymy were able to score, bringing the score to 6-1.

Throughout the second half, Coppell’s defense remained strong and only allowed the Farmers to score once more with 11 minutes left of the second half. 

“Defense is something that we struggled with from the beginning of pre-season,” Ozymy said. “But, recently, we have really been picking it up and listening to our game plan so it’s all been going well and tonight’s game shows that.”

The Cowgirls play at Flower Mound Marcus on Friday.

“For us, it’s just consistency,” Coppell coach Craig Able said. “It’s making sure that we don’t have little lapses, little momentary slip-ups, lack of focus, those kinds of things. Marcus is a fantastic team and we can’t afford to give it to them. We want to make sure we are ready to go.”

Follow Shreya (@shreya3220) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.