Cowboys hold tying streak against Plano West

Srihari Yechangunja

Plano West sophomore goalkeeper Jonah Ramsey saves a shot attempted by the Cowboys at Buddy Echols Field on Friday. Coppell tied Plano West, 1-1.

Shreya Ravi, Staff Photographer

On a chilly Friday night at Buddy Echols Field, the Coppell boys soccer team tied with Plano West, 1-1, bringing its district record to 2-1-5 with six matches remaining in District 6-6A.

The first half of the game involved mostly back and forth of the ball. Plano West junior midfielder Eli Krengel was able to score with six minutes remaining, ending the first half with the Wolves leading 1-0.

Coppell’s defense played strong this match as many of Plano West’s attempts to score were thwarted. 

“We went into a three-back set and so the third back, [senior defender Ari Robicheaux], [junior defender Chaz Null] and [senior defender Matthew Saucedo] were key for us,” Coppell coach Stephen Morris said. “The fact that they were able to step in and just be able to send all that stuff back forward was huge for us. It allowed our other attacking players to get down there and we could attack and attack and attack.”

During halftime, Morris made some personnel changes, which were taken well as Coppell junior midfielder Sam Stone was able to score seven minutes into the second half, tying the score 1-1.

Coppell senior midfielder Ryder Brock dribbles against Plano West at Buddy Echols Field on Friday. Coppell tied Plano West, 1-1. (Srihari Yechangunja)

“The first half was a little slow and an unlucky goal,” Saucedo said. “We definitely stepped up in the second half and scored the goal. Honestly, we could’ve put in some more chances but, overall, it was a good game to show what we can do. If we want to start winning these close-fighting games, we need to work on finishing. We’ve had chances in front of the goal and it’s just a difference of putting it in the right spot.”

Friday’s match was also Senior Night. All the seniors on the team were honored and appreciated for their dedication to the sport and their commitment to the team right before kickoff commenced.

“Even when they were down in the first half, they never put their heads down once they got behind,” Morris said. Our guys keep grinding and they believe in each other and what they’re doing so that was a definite positive we can take from tonight.”

The Cowboys play at Lewisville on Tuesday with kickoff at 7:30 p.m.

Follow Shreya (@shreya3220) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.