New policies form a new school

By Allie Perison
Editor in Chief

In the recent months, Coppell High School has gone through a number of changes. With school now in session and students still adapting to these modifications, it is hard to imagine what the future holds for the freshly modernized school.

Senior Brittany Alvarado listens to music which all students are now allowed to do during lunch and passing periods.

Twenty first century learning describes how schools are starting to rethink the old style of learning. This new approach prepares students for futures careers that may not even currently exist yet.

With this new learning method, students are expected to benefit not only now, but in years to come. As this philosophy grows, the typical teaching scenario is anticipated to change. Now, teachers have all the knowledge, but with 21st century learning students are supposed to begin using them more as resources. This means students have more control over how they learn and what mediums they use to get their education.

“I think this new style is cool because we are experiencing new things our parents never got to learn,” sophomore Shermin Punjwani said. “This will help me because as society gets more modern more things are based off of technology. It is preparing me for my future job.”

CHS is working to make its classes more fluid. Instead of every class having a completely unique curriculum, courses will start moving in a direction where they have some sort of tie to each other.

Since the new “four by four” science and math plan is in effect, more course options are going to be available for next year’s students. Classes like humanity and astronomy will soon be added along with other new course options. With these programs, students will be able choose from a more diverse set of courses that they may hope to pursue as a career.

“We don’t want to prevent learning from happening,” Principal Brad Hunt said. “Technology is now a key part of learning, so we have to adapt.”

With the ever changing business world, students need to be prepared to use all different technological resources. Technology is an important factor in 21st century learning.

“I think the new learning style is vital to the future success of students,” English teacher Nannette McMurtry said. “Although, I think we have to understand that no matter how tech savvy we think the students are, they still need help. We just to figure out how to make it all work for education.”

Virtual classrooms are a new type of technology at CHS. Students learn from a computer program instead of a teacher in the classic school scenario. Although this is the first year Coppell has used the program, the district foresees using it more and more in the future.

“The virtual classroom is very important because it is a class and online practice,” Virtual classroom and biology teacher Laronna Doggett said. “It is shaped more like a college class so it is great practice. This way, students can get the most out of it [their college experience] in the future.”

Teachers also benefit from these technological advancements. The addition of Smart Boards and Net Books in selected classrooms have been added this year. CHS is hoping to expand the use of these instruments in upcoming years.

In an effort to assure that students can take all the courses they are interested in, CHS is offering more zero hour and eighth period classes. The classes are more like college in the fact that they only meet once a week.

Every adjustment made at CHS is in the distinct effort to better the students. With the world constantly progressing, schools have to be up to date in order to prepare students for what is to come.       

“I am excited about the possibilities the future holds for Coppell High School,” Hunt said. “I am eager to see where this new style of learning can take us. It is the best way to prepare for a future we can’t foresee.”

For more information about CHS renovations click here.