Hong sings to success

By Julia Kim

The curtains fly open, and senior Judy Hong is on stage — her true home. Ready to sing. Ready to dance. This is it.

Earlier in the spring, Hong was involved in an opportunity that launched her career as a singer. In Dallas Star King, a local Korean singing competition, she sang “The Climb” by Miley Cyrus in addition to “Start,” a Korean ballad, and “Popular” from the renowned musical, Wicked.

“[The competition] made me want to get involved in other stuff,” Hong said. “Once I’m settled in college, I’m interested in trying out for American Idol — to see what the real singing world is like.”

For over a month, Hong attended vocal classes, instructed by a professor at the University of North Texas. Her single, recorded on Aug. 19, features a song reminiscing about her last year in high school with lyrics written by Hong herself. “No Turning Back” will be released with a photo-shoot by the end of September, with a music video following in October.

“I chose to write about the end of a high school career path because the experience has given me insight, love and memories,” Hong said. “Those aspects impacted me the most through my life.”

During her sophomore year, the talented girl partook in the school production of Footloose; by the time she was a junior, Hong was cast in Anything Goes in addition to serving as president in Brava!, an all girls’ show choir. As a senior, she is currently cast as Rapunzel in the musical, Into the Woods, and is also a part of the Vivace! show choir.

Hong bows, and seconds later, the curtains are closed once more with Hong preparing for yet another dazzling performance.