First half surge pushes Cowgirls past Marauders in district action

Ainsley Dwyer

Coppell senior Saiya Patel makes a jump shot against Flower Mound Marcus. The Cowgirls defeated the Marauders, 57-27, on Saturday at CHS Arena.

Ainsley Dwyer, Staff Writer

In a Saturday afternoon matchup, the Coppell basketball team defeated Flower Mound Marcus, 57-27, at Coppell High School Arena. The Cowgirls moved 20-0 overall and 2-0 in District 6-6A. 

Coppell is ranked No. 5 in the TABC Class 6A rankings. The Cowgirls’ aggressive defense was evident throughout the game, as displayed by their 11 to 1 steals advantage. The Cowgirls led from the beginning with senior guard Alyssa Potter scoring a layup within the first six seconds of the game after retrieving the opening tip from senior point guard Jules LaMendola.

Though Coppell led throughout, the game was not without drama. In particular, following a hard collision less than two minutes into the game between LaMendola and senior point guard Macey Mercer that left the crowd gasping. LaMendola stayed on the ground for more than a minute and both exited the game for the remainder of the quarter. Sophomores Londyn Harper and Landry Sherrer subbed in for LaMendola and Mercer and played for the rest of the quarter. Sherrer filled in nicely with LaMendola out, scoring eight points in the remaining six minutes.

“I believe we came out strong and finished strong,” Potter said. “We put what we’ve been working on during practice into this game and it helped us play even better.”

Coppell sophomore Londyn Harper makes a jump shot against Flower Mound Marcus. The Cowgirls defeated the Marauders, 57-27, on Saturday at CHS Arena. (Ainsley Dwyer)

The Cowgirls had 10 fouls early in the first half, but the early number of fouls didn’t hurt the Cowgirls on the scoreboard as Marcus missed the front end of three consecutive one-and-ones. For the game, the Marauders finished 3 of 11 from the free throw line. Marcus’ leading scorer was freshman Lauren Smith with 10 points.

The leading scorer for Coppell was senior Waverly Hassman with 14 points in the three quarters she played. After subbing in 1:50 minutes into the game, Sherrer finished the game scoring 10 points. LeMandola scored 12 points in the half she played.

“Individually I think I was more aggressive than I’ve been in the past which was good because it got me some open looks,” Sherrer said. “As a team, with Macey and Jules out, we had to have people step up and that’s exactly what we did. We stepped up and we won as a team today.”

Follow Ainsley @ainsleydwyer and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.