Coppell steals the light at Lone Star Classic

Nandini Paidesetty

Coppell High School seniors Claire Wang and Ashley Zhang play the marimba performing “Neon Dystopia” at Flower Mound Marcus High School on Saturday. Coppell Percussion was named winner of the Standstill 1 Silver Division of the 2022 Lone Star Drumline Invitational.

Sreehitha Moravaneni, Staff Writer

FLOWER MOUND – With temperatures in the mid-40s, Coppell Drumline is up next to get on the field. Few words are said, as each percussionist is zeroing in on their focus in perfecting their individual talents at the Lone Star Classic at Marcus High School.

The performance, “Neon Dystopia” presents a journey of distinctive arrangements of sounds, both delicate and daring to the ear, with all facets of percussion working together to create their melodies. Faces and bodies are evident with emotion, as their movements suggest significance to their work.

After one last pang of the symbol, the audience bursts into applause, with many standing up to honor their excellence.

“As a senior, this is my last performance,” Coppell High School senior snare drummer Muskaan Agarwal said. “All I wanted to do this run was to enjoy everything I was playing as it’s my last time. All the hard work we put in over the past few months really helped.”

A little after 10 p.m, the awards ceremony begins. 

Coppell Drumline won awards for Best Bass, Best Front Ensemble, Best Snare, Best Tenors and First Place in the Standstill 1 Silver Division, Caldwell Cup (for highest score of the night with a score of 94.00). 

The drumline reveled in its achievements following the victory. Percussionists and leaders took photos to capture the moment, shared embraces – and even shed a few tears to end the night.

According to CHS senior battery captain Caleb Brooks, winning is just an addition to all the work that was put into producing excellence. 

“It doesn’t matter what the end result is. It doesn’t matter what scores, and it doesn’t matter what happens at the end of the night,” Brooks said. “The best part of the competition is when everyone is smiling coming off the field, knowing that they performed the best in their life.”

Follow @CHSCampusNews and @sreehithaMorav on Twitter.