Fisher widens horizons, runs for SBOE

Sidekick file photo

Former Coppell ISD School Board Place 7 trustee Tracy Fisher resigned from her position on the board Oct. 17. Fisher has served as a trustee for more than 11 years and is running for the Texas State Board of Education District 14. Sidekick file photo.

After 10 and a half years under the title of Place 7 and more than 20 years of leadership roles in Coppell, Tracy Fisher now has her sights on the Texas State Board of Education District 14 seat.

Ever since she and her husband, Andy Fisher, moved to Coppell 35 years ago, the community has been Fisher’s hometown and source of pride. After volunteering for 25 years and being involved in multiple community-based associations, Fisher knew that Coppell is not just a town: it is family.

“Coppell has changed a lot, I love the richness and diversity of our community,” Fisher said. “I have never lived anywhere longer than this; I had my kids and grandkids here and eventually I decided to stop working professionally and volunteer for the community. I went through Leadership Coppell to see where I would fit in best and after multiple academies and trying different things, I ran for school board.”

After serving on the school board for six years and watching her children Aaron and Sam graduate from Coppell ISD in 2011 and 2012, respectively, Fisher knew that her curious voice could help advance the education of all kids, not just her own.

Meeting children, parents and teachers, she knew that diversity was one of Coppell’s gems, and she would not let underrepresented voices go unheard. 

“I did not run with an ax to grind; my children had already graduated when I ran because I did not want it to be about my kids but for all kids, and I felt like as a parent I needed to use my perspective without a bias,” Fisher said. 

After running for Board of Trustees and losing to Amy Duncan in 2011 by 100 votes, Fisher was elected in 2012 and held Place 7 until this October. During this period, Coppell as a community and city developed and so did Fishers’ views. 

Nothing is perfect yet, everything is a work in progress and I am glad I had the opportunity to be part of this change,

— Tracy Fisher

Throughout the years, Fisher has grown proud of the teachers and students in Coppell; she has helped add more neighborhood schools and has made advancements to CISD’s curriculum. But most of all, she worked to create the learning experience deserved by every child: one that will aid them in being better people rather than just capable students. 

“Through experiences and activities, children can hone their skills and learn,” Fisher said. “All subjects are important but students don’t need to learn everything in school, they need to learn how to learn, unlearn and relearn and that’s what sets students up for success in everything else.”

Learning to love one’s career rather than to meet expectations is the change Fisher wishes to see in every student’s perspective. She knows that change is absolute and aims to help people see education in a new light. 

“I was always curious and wanted to pursue the strategy and the why of things, so I went after that,” Fisher said. “I have learned so many things about people and the world and I used this to make sure that every great teacher does great things for all her students through my experience in education.”

Through Place 7, Fisher was able to take this mindset and work together with the board to make new buildings at the “right time at the right place” and help allow every student to fulfill their education in a supportive community with quality guidance.

“Nothing is perfect yet, everything is a work in progress and I am glad I had the opportunity to be part of this change,” Fisher said. “I am proud of the people I have met and what I could do to add value and make public education better to make sure that our students are ready for life after 12th grade.”

Along with the support from the community and the determination to bring change to a larger scale, Fisher is now running for the Texas Board of Education.  

“On the Texas Board of Education I want to make sure we are not adding standards but removing standards and look at developing the curriculum,” Fisher said. “I want to make sure teachers and students support each other and [are] able to reach an approachable standard.”

Aiming to increase teacher retention, the bettering of education for teachers, standards of education and additional local charter schools, Fisher pursues a new, larger audience under the same curious voice – questioning standards to establish change. 

To run for State Board of Education, Fisher resigned from her position as a Trustee on Oct. 17. Place 7 is now an open spot.

The Board expressed its gratitude for Fisher’s service at CISD in response to her resignation.

“You shared with people [that] student voice is so important and many times we talked about student voice throughout this journey,” Board vice president Anthony Hill said. “This journey is not over with. Students have rallied around you and built their confidence to do things beyond just [the] ordinary and you’ve encouraged people to do extraordinary things. That’s really that legacy that you’ve shared with so many. I know this is not the end of a journey, but the opening of a new chapter, and we wish you all the best.” 

Currently, there is not an official announcement on the election on the next Place 7. According to Fisher, there is likely to be a vote amongst citizens or an appointment from the board directly. She hopes a new perspective can help develop Coppell ISD further and represent education for the community to agree and depend on.

“I hope that the next Place 7 will be serious about change and be trustable, the definition of a trustee,” Fisher said. 

As a final piece of advice to CISD, Fisher requests all citizens to vote for who they know will make their children’s success reachable and ensure high-level education.

“Vote whether it’s in November or May,” Fisher said. “Instead of a party vote for a person, vote for people who are going to do the best for you and your community”.

Follow Aliza Abidi (@Aliza_abidi) and @CHSCampusNews.