Cowboys take down Hawks on Heroes Night

Angelina Liu, Executive Editor-in-Chief

Coppell senior defensive end Ike Odimegwu recovers a fumble against Hebron at Buddy Echols Field on Friday. Coppell defeated Hebron, 43-35. (Olivia Short)

Grab it!

The student section shouts in anticipation as Coppell football  senior defensive end Ike Odimegwu scrambles to pick up Hebron’s fumbled snap. The cheering grows louder as Odiemgwu begins running it back for a touchdown. 

Coppell defeated Hebron, 43-35, on Friday at Buddy Echols Field.  Currently, the Cowboys are 7-1 and second in District 6-6A. 

The Cowboys displayed dominance early in the first quarter, forcing a turnover on downs on Hebron followed by a senior Jack Fishpaw 25yard pass to junior wide receiver Luca Grosoli. Fishhpaw’s pass to senior running back Malkam Wallace gave the Cowboys a touchdown within the first four minutes of the first quarter. 

“Early in the game we had problems getting stops but in the second half, other than when we had our ones in, we shut them down pretty well,” Coppell coach Antonio Wiley said. They had one touchdown drive and that’s it.” 

In the second quarter, Fishpaw’s pass to junior running back Ayrion Sneed gave momentum to the Cowboys for a first down. The offense continued its rhythm, with Fishpaw’s pass to junior wide receiver Luca Grosoli, resulting in a rushing touchdown for  Fishpaw. 

Hebron scored a touchdown after an interception. A fumble on the snap for a Hebron point after was recovered by senior defensive end Ike Odimegwu and ran back for  two points. With two seconds left on the clock, Hebron ran it and had multiple flags on the play. Hebron was given another chance to a play. Coppell ended the first half with an interception by sophomore safety Weston Polk to head into halftime, 23-13. 

“I wanted to be in the endzone,” Odimegwu said. “I did everything in my power to do that. I was feeling good coming out of the locker room.” 

With two seconds left on the clock, Hebron ran it and had multiple flags on the play. Hebron was given another chance to run a play. Coppell ended the first half with an interception by sophomore safety Weston Polk. 

This energy continued into the third quarter with a hand off to Wallace for the touchdown. In the last 58 seconds of the fourth quarter, the Hawks were able to score two touchdowns but it was not enough to tie the game. 

“I’m proud of our kids. They’re winning. They’re controlling their own destiny and that’s what it’s about.” Wiley said. 

Follow @angelinaliiu and @SidekickSports on Twitter