Lariettes’ timeless tradition successfully starts home slate

Shreya Ravi

Coppell High School sophomore Lariettes Caroline Leach, Elise Kniff, Tanna Robbins and Payton Hardcastle converse before the Lariettes Spaghetti Dinner commences in the CHS Commons on Friday. The Lariettes Spaghetti Dinner is an annual CHS tradition and fundraiser before the first home football game of the season that features a catered meal, raffle prizes and baked goods. Photo by Shreya Ravi

Maya Palavali, Staff Cartoonist/Writer

Ornate red and black table pieces glitter throughout the Coppell High School cafeteria as the Lariettes, clad in their uniforms, welcome customers with broad smiles.

From 5 p.m. to 6:45 p.m. on Friday, the Lariettes held its annual spaghetti dinner in the CHS Commons, marking the 32nd anniversary of its creation. The tradition has become a staple in Coppell’s culture and marks the return of football season.

“We’ve always had it traditionally before the first home football game,” CHS Lariettes parent volunteer Radha Suguraman said. “Everybody’s excited to be back in school and for Cowboy football season.”

The event has grown since its start, making it the biggest fundraiser for the Lariettes throughout the school year.

“I think it’s a better turnout than last year for sure,” Lariette senior Presley Watkins said. “It’s great to see so many people here.”

The dinner is also an opportunity for the community to come together, even those that have moved on from Coppell.

“It’s so fun coming back and seeing how things have changed, but also how they’ve stayed the same,” Coppell 2013 alumna Jessica Nesbit said. “It’s important to show the community that the Lariettes are still part of the high school and are timeless.”

The dinner had multiple parts throughout its duration. With a raffle every 10 minutes, the attendees were able to grab food, talk and enjoy the lively atmosphere. Delicious homemade baked goods were also sold for $1 at a booth and by Lariettes walking around the cafeteria.

Along with the raffle and silent auction, the dinner has an ongoing tradition – the pasta itself. The sponsor of the dinner has been Bistecca – An Italian Steakhouse in Highland Village, owned by Morris Salerno, for the past 32 years.

“[Salerno] has generously been a part of this since the very beginning,” said Coppell ISD Superintendent Dr. Brad Hunt, whose daughter Jules Hunt is senior Lariettes captain.

Decorations and ticket stands are set up at Coppell High School Commons on Friday. The Lariettes Spaghetti Dinner is an annual CHS tradition and fundraiser before the first home football game of the season that features a catered meal, raffle prizes and baked goods. (Shreya Ravi)

The dinner is a tradition not just for the Lariettes and their families, but the CHS community as a whole. Many students stopped by to enjoy the food.

While the Lariette spaghetti dinner plays a vital role in bringing the community together, the event serves as a fundraiser held by the Lariette Service Organization to pay for the expenses for the upcoming 2022-23 school year, such as transportation, costumes and props.

Though the dinner ended on Friday, there is still an exciting way to support the Lariettes.

“The online silent auction will go all the way through next Friday,” Lariette Spaghetti Dinner co-host Brooke Minteer said. “If people couldn’t make it tonight, but still want to support the Lariettes, that is a great way to do [so].”

Follow Maya (@mvpalovalley) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.