Image and video hosting by TinyPic" />

Save Africa with the touch of a button Image and video hosting by TinyPic

By Gaby Moran
    Natalie Wade

Homecoming is one pricy event for everyone. The guys typically pay for an estimation of a $200 mum and the$ 40 dance tickets and the girls have to pay for a $100 garter and a $150 dress.

If this is a little out of your budget range, then buy a button and help others.

For the third consecutive year, the Hope for Africa Club is doing the button fundraiser to raise money to build water wells in Africa. The buttons are a way for people who do not want to spend all the money on a mum or garter but still want to participate in homecoming.

Each button costs a minimum of $5 but any donations are appreciated.  Last year, the club raised enough money to build one well, which costs $4,000. They are hoping to beat that this year and go for at least two wells.

“This summer I got to go to Africa for a couple of weeks to help out and I have seen how bad it is and this is just a great way to help them, senior Haley Wilson said.

While this fundraiser is focusing just on helping Africa, Hope for Africa Club has changed its plan this year. The club has joined Water is Basic and revolves all of its fundraisers around this organization. Besides just helping Africa, they will help any country that is in need of water, like Sudan.

“We really just want to focus on raising awareness in the school this year and this is just the first fundraiser of many to come,” senior Shaelyn Macedonio said.

This first fundraiser is just focusing on Africa but the club has been throwing many ideas around for other fundraisers. Some ideas are the Art Show auction, which they did last year, at CHS, where students donate works of art and anyone can come and make a bid on them, and participating in the 5K run that Water is Basic is hosting on Oct. 10 at Richardson Grove Park.

“We really want to help countries in need of wells this year and our goal is to just get a lot of other students involved in this important issue,” junior Emily Fowler said.