Schuller takes second in pole vault at state meet

Photo courtesy Coppell ISD/ Priyanka Bhutani

Coppell junior Sky Schuller and girls track coach Landon Wren are honored at the Coppell ISD Board of Trustees award ceremony held at the CHS Arena on Monday. Schuller competed in the Class 6A State Meet and finished sixth and second in the high jump and pole vault events respectively.

Nathan Cheng, Staff Writer

Following the end of the 2022 track season, track runner and Coppell junior Sky Schuller has much to reflect on. In her five years of track running, her performance has never met a higher standard than this year, setting a total of five school records throughout the season, three of which had been her own records set in prior years. 

“As a whole, my season probably could not have gone any better,” Schuller said. “I always go into each season with the goal to break my previous personal bests in all my events and I actually did that this season but I was also able to break the school records in all of my events which was my long term goal for high school.” 

These records include her performances in pole vault, high jump, long jump, 300-meter hurdles and 100-meter hurdles. She set her record in the 300 hurdles with a 43.71 second time at the most recent regional meet held at the University of Texas at Arlington. Her performances at said meet also qualified her for the state meet which was held on May 14 at the University of Texas at Austin. It was there she set another school record in pole vault with a 14-foot vault and finished second in the event overall. She also competed in the high jump event at state, finishing in sixth place with a five-foot, six-inch jump. Though Schuller did not place in high jump, she was satisfied with her performance.

“We knew going in that she was going to have to jump really well to place in the top three.” Coppell track coach Landon Wren said. “She had jumped 5-8 this year but there were two or three girls who had jumped six foot. She ended up jumping 5-6 and placed in sixth place. We we’re hoping for a little bit higher but she was definitely happy with that because of the competition.” 

With the high school track season now over, Schuller is looking forward to the Nike Nationals which will be held in Eugene, Ore. in June. The event is entirely unaffiliated with high school track so no official practices will be held at Coppell High School. Schuller now has to practice by herself. 

“No one is really there to hold me accountable,” She said. “That’s probably the biggest challenge. Just trying to stay on top of my schedule and to keep improving by myself.” 

Follow @WalterBotell and @SidekickSports on Twitter.