Sreeja+Mudumby+is+the+executive+editorial+page+editor+of+The+Sidekick.+The+Sidekick+staff+writer+Nathan+Cheng+expresses+how+Mahfuz+has+influenced+his+time+on+staff.+

Shrayes Gunna

Sreeja Mudumby is the executive editorial page editor of The Sidekick. The Sidekick staff writer Nathan Cheng expresses how Mahfuz has influenced his time on staff.

Sreeja Mudumby

James Madison once said “As long as the connection subsists between one’s reason and his self-love, his opinions and his passions will have a reciprocal influence on each other; and the former will be objects to which the latter will attach themselves. The diversity in the faculties of men, from which the rights of property originate, is not less an insuperable obstacle to a uniformity of interests.” 

Because of this lack of uniform opinions, and the rights regarding free speech to which the press is entitled, it is required of any publication to ensure that the opinions of those whom it represents are adequately voiced. Whether the opinion concerns politics, philosophy, science or sports, the publication must show an open minded accommodation for it. And in Coppell High School’s publication, this open minded accommodation is embodied in Sreeja. 

When I first joined The Sidekick, I hoped to write the most for the opinions section. While I never got to write as much for it as I would have liked, in the little writing I did, Sreeja proved to be the most engaging editor. She seemed to always have something to say on whatever topic I wrote about. We could discuss certain topics for days, sometimes debating into the night on a Zoom call. For me, such interactions were clear testaments to her passion for her section and writing. 

She would never let someone post something that she didn’t feel was written to its potential. Yet, she can give advice without being confrontational, suggest revisions while remaining well spoken. She can read any opinion and keep to strict impartiality. 

I find it unlikely that Sreeja would have a problem with another she couldn’t solve. She is every bit as diplomatic as she is passionate and I doubt her disagreement with any other’s opinion would ever overshadow her kindness. 

And so I wish her peace of mind and success in her endeavors. I hope her remaining time in high school will be the greatest it can be and that she will always look back at her time in The Sidekick with nothing but fond memories. With that, I bid her a very fond farewell.