Coppell+High+School+senior+Mira+Jiang+is+the+valedictorian+in+the+graduating+class+of+2022.+Jiang+will+attend+Harvard+University+in+the+fall+and+is+double+majoring+in+neuroscience+and+English.+

Anjali Krishna

Coppell High School senior Mira Jiang is the valedictorian in the graduating class of 2022. Jiang will attend Harvard University in the fall and is double majoring in neuroscience and English.

Mira Jiang

What does it mean to you to be in the top 10?

It’s a culmination of my learning in the classroom in that it was never truly something that I was aiming for, but it was still a pleasant surprise. It goes to show that if you are studying the topics that you are passionate about, then you will naturally do good in the classes.

What advice do you have for younger students?

In general, do the things you love, study the things you love in high school. Don’t take classes for the grade or GPA boost because it is a lot more fun when you’re learning about things you want to learn about, and it makes school not feel like a chore.

What is something you wish you told your ninth-grade self?

To chill out a little.  What happens in high school is not the end-all be-all, and there is still a whole lifetime ahead of you. In life, you’re in it for the long game, and there is no reason to get worried about not having everything figured out right off the bat. 

What is your most memorable part of high school?

It has to be performing with my friends both in band and Lariettes. It’s just an amazing feeling when you’re out performing with your teammates, and you’re able to do something that you know you would never be able to do on your own. 

What are your thoughts on the current education system and the college admissions process?

The holistic system that has been brought into college admissions is definitely something that is a lot better than before because it is more evaluative as people and not just statistics or numbers. But I do think that it places a lot of undue stress on students as well with all the supplementals that you have to write for schools. You win some; you lose some. The system is not perfect, but I think it is trying to get better.

What are your goals for the future? How do you think your hard work will contribute to that?

I’m planning on pursuing premedicine in college because medicine is something that I have wanted to get into for a long time, but I am definitely going to continue writing alongside that. 

What is your secret to success?

It is up to you to realize that there is more time in the day than you think. You can get so much out of a single minute. We just lose those minutes throughout the day when we take a moment to hop on social media, and they just add up. Take advantage of all the time you are given.

What is the hardest lesson you have learned?

Learning how to keep working when things may not be going your way was the hardest lesson that I’ve had to learn. There can sometimes be pressures when things aren’t going well or even the feeling of having to “ease off the gas” when they are, but never losing sight of the end result is so important.

Is there anything you would change or do differently throughout high school?

There are unique struggles that come with being in high school, and it is not something I would really want to do over again. But if given the chance, with everything working out the way it has, I don’t think I would change a thing.

Follow Shrayes (@ShrayesGunna) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.