Coppell Observer: Dear couples of Coppell High School…

Nandini Paidesetty

Public displays of affection (PDA) at school often makes students uncomfortable. The Sidekick visual media editor Angelina Liu thinks common high school public displays of affection should be moved off campus.

Angelina Liu, Visual Media Editor

Coppell Observer is a humorous column about life as a teenager. Please be warned that any and all sass is due to the writers’ similar situation as adolescents (even though we feel so much older). You, the reader, should not take any of these words to heart. Seriously. If this article makes you laugh, leave a comment. 

Before I begin, I want to preface that I am not a bitter prude;  I just dislike public displays of affection (PDA) in the school setting. I think couples can do whatever they desire as long as it is off school grounds. 

Please stop walking super slow and holding hands in the hallways. 

Regular hand holding is fine as long as you walk quickly. It’s 10:25 a.m and my class is located all the way on the other side of campus. Navigating the crowded hallways of CHS is challenging enough without adding in the increased difficulty necessary to walk quickly when there’s a hand holding couple right in front of you. The pace at which you walk at and the fact that you don’t understand some people are trapped behind the immovable fence that you have unknowingly created, causing a buildup of students behind you is concerning. Please, hand holding couples of CHS.

Walk faster. 

We can definitely see you 

You’re not slick. 

If you think that no one can see what you’re doing hiding in the back hallways, or in the corners of stairwells, you’re wrong. It’s just too awkward to confront you. The amount of times my friends and I have recounted instances we have had to avoid a certain hallway because certain questionable things are happening barely out of sight is too many. Why not just walk to the nearby Sonic or newly opened hip boba tea shop Feng Cha? They’re located less than a mile away from the school. Now, I understand that sometimes parents disapprove of relationships, which is why displays of affection must occur at CHS. But if your parents don’t want to see that, what makes you think the students and teachers of CHS do? Please, couples of CHS. 

Move your PDA off-campus. 

It’s just uncomfortable 

One time when I was walking to class, the hallway was busy and packed as it normally is, and I moved to the side in order to pass through. Little did I know, there would be couples sitting on the benches and lining the halls like little traps on which an unsuspecting individual would trip on their outstretched feet. 

I have several grievances with this. First of all, who voluntarily sits on the wooden benches that line the hallways? They’re flat, lack space, and are overall just uncomfortable. Why not just sit in a workspace? There are actual comfortable chairs and couches. Second of all, why are your legs stretched all the way out? If you want to sit there, fine. At least just tuck your legs in. Third of all, why? There are only 10 minutes between classes.

Assuming you and your significant other come from different classes, it takes around five minutes to meet up. That’s only about three minutes of sitting time before y’all have to rush off to your next class. Why not walk your partner to their next class? Is specifically sitting on those benches for three minutes, tripping people who try to walk by just a “couple thing” that I wouldn’t understand? 

Well, clearly I don’t. 

Please, couples of CHS, walk at a fast pace, keep PDA on the minimum on school grounds, and tuck your legs in when sitting on wooden benches. The student body will thank you. 

Follow (@angelinaliiu) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.