Drumline to mesmerize audience with Purely Rhythmic

Nandini Paidesetty

Coppell High School junior Claire Wang plays the marimba while performing “Birds Requiem” at Pennington Field in Bedford on Sept. 18. The Coppell Drumline holds its annual “Purely Rhythmic” show on Saturday at 7 p.m.

Shrayes Gunna, Staff Writer

After months of preparation, the Coppell Drumline presents its annual showcase “Purely Rhythmic” at the Coppell High School Auditorium on Saturday at 7 p.m. This year marks a return to normal preparation, allowing percussionists and their director Randall Nguyen to experiment with the sound and effect of unique, found objects.

“Since coming back from COVID-19, we feel more comfortable playing music with one another so we have a lot more pieces that utilize strange objects like glass bottles that [produce] a glassy metallic feeling,” CHS junior marimba player Matthew Tindoc said. “After the drumming season that ended around January, we practiced daily [including] after-school practices until March.”

With “Purely Rhythmic,” the drumline plans to bring everything they have worked towards from cultivating students’ abilities to engaging and entertaining an audience back to the auditorium for the Coppell community to enjoy. 

CHS percussion instructors Doug Bush and Patricia Islas have worked with the Coppell Drumline for years with its drumline shows. This year, the concert will include them in an attempt to highlight their contributions to Coppell’s percussion program.

“We hope the audience feels mesmerized,” CHS junior percussionist Muskaan Agrawal said. 

“Team Islas [will also be] featured at the concert, including Mr. Bush and Ms. Islas.” 

“Purely Rhythmic” will also highlight the individual parts of the drumline: the battery and front ensemble. Each will play pieces alone and together to portray the distinct sounds of both groups. 

Tickets are $8 for adults and $5 for students at the door.

Follow Shrayes (@shrayesgunna) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.