Benitez playing significant role in students lives

Taking time to foster special relationships

Aliya Zakir

Coppell High School AP biology teacher Dr. ​​Bianca Benitez assists her eighth period students with an assignment on Wednesday. Dr. Benitez was recently selected as a Claes Nobel Educator of Distinction by The National Society of High School Scholars (NSHSS) after being nominated by CHS junior Neha Darimadugu.

Sri Achanta, News Editor

After graduating from Coppell High School in 1994 and returning to teach, Dr. Bianca Benitez’s educational journey came full circle. This time at CHS, she is taking on a role from a different perspective: teaching AP Biology to students and being a supportive role model many look up to.

Dr. Benitez’s work as a teacher is undeterred, but she had not always thought of becoming a teacher. In fact, her degree was in chiropractics where she pursued medicine at Parker University. However, after working as a contract doctor at the student clinic, where she taught student interns, she fell in love with the idea of teaching and got her first year as a freshman biology teacher at Williams High School in Plano.

She later taught at Coppell Middle School East for three years, and for the past two years, starting in 2020, has been teaching at CHS. Over the years, she gained heartfelt relationships with her students where she went beyond her way to make sure her students feel welcome and cared for.

“Dr. Benitez is caring, involved, and passionate; she really goes beyond the classroom and is a part of our lives,” CHS senior Yash Purani said. “She sees that all of us have the potential to grow and become great things in the world.”  

The genuine relationship Dr. Benitez fosters with her students has earned her accolades. Recently, she was nominated for the Claes Nobel Educator of Distinction award, presented by The National Society of High School Scholars.

For a teacher to receive this award, a student must nominate the teacher and explain why they have made a difference or impacted the student’s life. After receiving the award, teachers can apply for grant money to further their students’ education.

Dr. Benitez was nominated for this award by CHS junior Neha Darimadugu.

“This award was for any teacher that was very motivated towards their job and their work,” Darimadugu said. “Dr. Benitez goes above and beyond what teachers do: she connects with her students on a more personal level. One time, in a discussion board, she asked us to post a picture of a key moment from last semester. We didn’t really think anything of it until the next class, where she created an entire video with a soundtrack and transitions.”

Coppell High School AP biology teacher Dr. ​​Bianca Benitez was recently selected as a Claes Nobel Educator of Distinction by The National Society of High School Scholars (NSHSS). Prior to teaching at CHS, Dr. Benitez taught at Coppell Middle School East for three years. (Aliya Zakir)

The honor caught Dr. Benitez by surprise.

“Honestly, [his award was the most amazing surprise,” Dr. Benitez said. “I came back from winter break, checked my mailbox, and there was a packet of information that said I had been nominated by a student. It was the most amazing, wonderful surprise to have that at the start of the year and it really meant a lot to me because for it to come from a student is something that is just so special; they took the time out of their day to write or do whatever they had to do to nominate me.”

Dr. Benitez’s loving personality is the root for her achieving this award, which is not only something that students get to see, but other teachers as well.

“Dr. Benitez does everything she can to make the experience for her students positive and beneficial for their future,” CHS anatomy and physiology teacher Jodie Deinhammer said. “She loves her students. She puts so much effort into getting to know them as people and attending all of their events. She spends so much of her personal time going to games, and plays, and all of the things she does to support her kids.”

Dr. Benitez can be seen wherever her students are, whether it be in her classroom, at sporting events or even at community events. Her love for her students pushes her to keep working to bolster them to the best of her ability.

“Supporting my kids is what brings me the most joy,” Dr. Benitez said. “It reinvigorates me because I see them having the times of their lives and to share that energy with them is what brings energy to me.”

Follow @sriachanta_ and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.