Summer falls into Autumn

By Ellen Cameron

This Tuesday, September 21, marks the official beginning of Autumn. Autumn, also known as “Fall” in the United States because the leaves do, in fact, fall, traces its roots to Medieval England, when the season was known as “Harvest”. In the 16th Century, cultural diffusion brought the Latin word “autumnus”.

While this is not an actual religious observance, the traditions and images that are evoked during Autumn are catholic. Autumn is also the season of “ber” months: September, October, November, and December, the four months that, unlike their eight counterparts, were simply named based on a mundane numbering system.

Homecoming is also this week, which is a local, secular holiday in its own right, and culminates in the Homecoming game against Mansfield Summit at Coppell High School. Just another reminder, the theme days this week are as follows: Monday is 60s; Tuesday, 70s; Wednesday, 80s; Thursday, 90s, and Friday is Spirit Day. Tickets to the dance at the Hilton Garden Inn in Lewisville Saturday night are currently on sale in the Commons during lunch for $20.

The most notable religious holidays this week is Yom Kippur, a Jewish holiday of penance. Yom Kippur begins at sundown on Sunday, September 27th.

For more information about religious observances, festivities, and holidays, see The Sidekick, coming out this Friday, September 25th, in print, or continue to check Student Life blogs and Feature.