Freshmen shine in Cowgirls’ first soccer scrimmage

Manasa Mohan

Coppell freshman defender Summer Chen passes down field with minutes left in the second half against Frisco Lebanon Trail. Monday’s match at Buddy Echols Field was the first scrimmage for the Cowgirls, with the Cowgirls winning 5-0.

Varshitha Korrapolu, Communications Manager

The Coppell girls soccer team stepped onto Buddy Echols Field with positive energy to start this season’s play. With a blend of old and new talent from freshmen to seniors, the Cowgirls defeated Frisco Lebanon Trail, 5-0, yesterday. 

Some of the freshmen on the team made their first appearance and launched their high school soccer careers. According to Coppell senior midfielder Bailey Peek, this strengthened the team’s overall performance against the Trail Blazers. 

“It made me more confident,” Peek said. “Our freshmen are a really good addition to our team because they really stood out today to me and did well.”

Yesterday’s scrimmage was also Coppell coach Fleur Benatar’s first time leading the team on the field.

The Cowgirls initiated their gameplay well, however they have room for improvement. 

“I thought it was going to be a game similar to this,” Coppell coach Fleur Benatar said. “We should have scored a couple more, but we scored five and that was fine. Some players that should score didn’t score and they will soon. We could never take a team lightly. I was glad that we got an advantage: a 3-0 [with Coppell leading] after half time is a good score. It’s important that we did that.”

Despite a shaky start at the beginning of the first half, the Cowgirls gained confidence and their gameplay accelerated from there. 

“After the second goal, I think we were good,” Benatar said. “We were a little nervous. [Coppell freshman midfielder] Monica Morales was an impact going into the first half. She won every ball in the air and that was a big relief. That was a bright spark. Our freshmen were good.” 

Coppell freshman defender Summer Chen assisted her teammates on the field and scored a goal for the team despite her first time playing at Buddy Echols Field. 

“Individually, playing for the first time at the high school level I did a lot better than I thought I was gonna do,” Chen said. “My performance tonight was a good example of what I’m capable of, and knowing what I can do will keep my standards up.” 

Follow Varshitha (@varshitha1128) and @SidekickSports on Twitter.