Madrigal choir continues yearly tradition with 27th feast

Sidekick file photo

Coppell Madrigal choir sings in Old Town on Dec. 12, 2020. The Madrigal choir will be performing its annual feast on Friday in the CHS Commons.

Yaamini Jois, Staff Writer

On Friday and Saturday, the Coppell High School Madrigal choir is hosting the 27th annual Madrigals Feast. 

The concert lasts from 7-9 p.m. in the CHS Commons, with dinner and desserts served. Dinner includes salad, roasted vegetables and chicken, with brownies and cookies for dessert. 

Madrigal singers perform early Renaissance and a cappella music. With 19 singers, the Madrigal choir is the smallest and most selective section of the CHS choir program. 

Directors Bona Coogle and Aaron Coronado lead the Madrigal choir.

“[The feast] is something we are proud of,” Coogle said. “Since we have different singers every year, it’s hard to compare one feast to another.”

This year, the Madrigal choir will perform “Ring of Truth” for its play. Characters include the King, the Queen, a fortune teller, a jester, a town crier, Lord Darnell and Lady Darnell.

Last year’s feast was held at The Sound. While it included the traditional songs and costumes, safety called for the sacrifice of dinner and decorations. This weekend’s feast marks the Madrigal choir’s first show with all aspects of the feast since 2019.

“Our goal is to provide this opportunity for our kids and make it better each year,” Coogle said.

Follow Yaamini (@yjois12) and @CHSCampusNews on Twitter.