Cowboys spoil Arlington homecoming, top Colts by 22

By Peter Sblendorio

Sports Editor

The Cowboys were able to avenge their postseason loss to Arlington last November on Friday night, blowing out the Colts 42-20 and ruining the Arlington homecoming.

Coppell was led by senior quarterback Joe Minden, who passed for 234 yards and threw three touchdowns, each of which coming in the first half.

Coppell was explosive on offense all night, with Minden opening the game with touchdown passes to senior Tyler Landis and later senior Kyle Echerd in the first quarter. Senior receiver Nate Hruby was the recipient of Minden’s third touchdown throw on a ten yard pass in the second quarter.

The Cowboys were also explosive running the ball. Following his 44 carry, 218 effort in the season opener against Mesquite Horn last week, senior running back Cam McDaniel tallied 148 yards and two rushing touchdowns in the victory.

Minden also got into the action running the ball, scoring on a 44 yard touchdown scramble in the second quarter in his only attempt on the ground.

The Coppell defense was equally as important in the win, holding Arlington quarterback Miles Onyegbule to 151 yards and 96 yards rushing. Last week, Onyegbule, a converted wide receiver, threw for three touchdowns and rushed for four more in a win against Plano East.

The Cowboys next test will be against Jesuit next Friday in what is Coppell’s homecoming game. It will also mark the final game of the non-district season for the Cowboys.